Wednesday, October 8, 2008

We're violating about 50 health codes right now...

This morning we visited a biscotti making company in Prato for my Experiencing the City class. Observations:
1. Yummy, yummy biscotti
2. The kitchen of this company was about as big as my room, my suite-mates' room, and our bathroom--in other words: tiny
3. We walked right into the kitchen and stood right next to the mixer and oven with no hair nets, no shoe covers, no masks
4. Our tour guide reached into a bunch of cookies with her bare hands and picked up a handful to give to us, then threw the extras back in with the rest (I hope her hands were clean!)
5. Everything was handmade and the cookies are made fresh everyday
6. The biscotti was only made of five ingredients: flour, sugar, eggs, pine nuts, almonds
7. Everyone walked out of the store with a small bag of free biscotti

Today was also our second day of Nino's choir. Nino is our chef who makes our amazing meals everyday. He is also an aspiring opera singer and has an amazing voice. On Monday there was about 12 of us; today there was only 6. We are singing a song in Italian, which is sort of difficult when you are still in the process of learning the language. I sort of miss a real choir setting; where we are able to work through phrases and trouble in sections and at request. Nino doesn't speak English at all and most of us are in Italian 101. Some things just get lost...and we just nod our heads and smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it htere is no sign in the bathroom stating employees must wash their hands before returning to work.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I'm not a huge germaphobe, but that would gross me out that she threw the rest of the cookies back in the basket. I take it the basket was one in which cookies were also sold out of? Hmmmm, I agree, hopefully her hands were clean. I suppose that most food places over there do no know much about food safety? I wonder if they have health inspections......