Friday, September 5, 2008

The Cozy Little Town that is Siena

Today we took a day trip to frolick around Siena. The day did not start well. The first place we visited was the church of St. Catherine, where her actually head is chilling in a glass box. I, of course was very excited about seeing the decaying head of a really old person. But, as soon as we walked into the church, about 10 of us were yelled at in Italian and herded out the door again. Turns out, the Italians don't appreciate bare shoulders in their churchs; some of us were wearing tank tops. One girl went and bought a shawl to put over her shoulders and the rest of us waited for someone with a coat/shawl to come out so we could borrow it and see inside. Needless to say, I did get to see the head of St. Catherine. We spent the rest of the day seeing all the churches and museums and touristy places of Siena, while being lectured at by our Art History professor here at the Villa. A few places later, I began to think "I really don't care what kind of arches those are, nor care about the use of prespective in that painting...just tell me the history and let me explore on my own!" We did get a short time to run through the city by ourselves, and ended up getting hollared at by an Italian boy. He was rather persistent. After Siena, we went to a winery up in the hills somewhere between Siena and Florence and toured the place and tasted the wine. Delicious! The best stuff was the extra virgin olive oil though. Oh! I have never tasted something soooo good. All in all, it was an interesting day...hot, tiring, educational, fascinating, etc, etc. Tomorrow we shall finally go into Florence and walk around there. People are saying it's supposed to 98 degress. I sure hope they are joking.

7 comments:

AuntMissy said...

Didn't your mother teach you better than to parade around in bare shoulders in a church? The Steinman girls would never have done that! I think you should adopt the policy of wearing a habit the rest of your trip! Sounds like your having fun already. Post more about the MEN and the PASTA for those of us living vicariously through you. Be safe - Aunt Missy

Anonymous said...

I guess I should have policed your suitcase before you left. The OIP did tell you that Italians aren't into bare skin on the women. You never wore that shirt to church without a shrug or jacket. Better take one with you on your next sojourn.
Many of the students with you are Art/architecture majors so the teacher would be pointing out such things. Take it in, never know when you might need the info.Post more pictures please when you get the chance. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I believe a very wise person once told you if you go to a foreign land you better learn the language. Also, you need to be able to drink the water....

Aunt Cindy said...

Aunt Cindy
I want to hear more about the dead head!!! That would have been so cool. Was it mummified? How are they keeping it looking like her? Did you get a picture? Can't wait to hear more of your adventures. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Sweet, I'm thinking it would be awesome to see her head too!! I do have to agree with everyone else about the bare shoulders in church...duh Megan! I am interested in how EVOO is tasty? Did you just eat it plain or dip bread in it or something? I would have been way into the art stuff! Art History is some seriously interesting stuff, give it a chance.

Carlina said...

don't let Aunt Missy fool you the Steinman girls were not all angels!!! I am going to use your blog to help with my classroom. I hope that I can ask you questions for the students? Be safe and have lots of fun. Aunt Carlina

Megan Rae said...

Aunt Cindy,
We couldn't take picture in the church, but I would have died to have a picture of the head. I don't know how they preserved it; our professor didn't say. It looked like a shrunken head though. It was creepy and cool at the same time.
Aunt Carlina,
Sure, I don't mind questions. One of my teachers from high school actually said she wanted to use my blog in the classroom too; the more the merrier!
Bridget,
We dipped our bread in the olive oil. I think it tasted better because it had so much more flavour, it wasn't just greasy and oily.